Saturday, December 1, 2012

Camera Critters #243

A couple of weeks ago, I was in my backyard chatting with my neighbor when I heard a tap...tap behind me.

 

Thinking the sound was something flapping in the light breeze, I glanced over my shoulder, saw nothing and continued talking to my neighbor.

 

Moments later, I heard the sound again, but this time it came from above me.  I looked up and no more than 10 feet above my head, on the truck of the Lodgepole Pine I was standing next to, was a bird I hadn't seen before.

 

Before my neighbor came out, I had been taking pictures of a slug I found on the walkway, so I lifted the camera and took two shots.  The bird then moved to the other side of the trunk, stay a couple of seconds, then flew off.

 

Of the two images I shot, only one showed the bird.  However, the image is a bit degraded due to a branch from the pine moving between the camera and bird.  The second image I got, the branch completely covered the bird.

 

IMG_8508

 

After much checking and opinions from other birders in this area, we have determined that the bird is a hybrid of the Red-breasted and Red-naped Sapsuckers. 

 

Misty Dawn’s Camera Critter Meme is a great way see critters the world over. Go to the homepage here to see more. Then join the fun and add your own.

7 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

A fascinating bird. I have heard that distinctive tapping under the eaves of our house outside our bedroom window. They were our early morning alarm clock for a while.

Misty DawnS said...

It's always an awesome experience to see a critter you've never seen before!

TexWisGirl said...

i love spying these elusive birds!

Anonymous said...

Another one of the birds that I miss from when I live out west.

eileeninmd said...

Great bird and sighting!

Jidhu Jose said...

cool

Big Elephant with small Brain

Pat said...

Wonderful sight!