Saturday, July 31, 2010

Camera Critter #121

A couple of days ago, I was at one of my favorite spots looking for odonata (dragonflies, if you’re wondering).

I didn’t see any, but along the shoreline there was a large gathering of wildflowers and within them…bees.

I enjoy watching bees do “their thing,” especially bumblebees.  While watching the bees, I noticed two different types of bumblebees.

CRW_0754

CRW_0746

One had a small, single yellowish-white stripe near the end of the abdomen, and the other is typical of most bumblebees I see in my area.  It had a yellowish-white stripe further up from the end of the abdomen and on top of that, an orange stripe.

But bees gave me good looks and the time to get a decent photo (even after I had screwed up my initial settings as I shot the top bee’s photo).

Misty Dawn’s Camera Critter Meme is a great way to see critters the world over.  Go to the homepage here and check out more critters.  Then join the fun and add your own.

12 comments:

Chubskulit Rose said...

I have exactly what you are looking for this week... butterflies.. come and see.

Misty DawnS said...

And they're on a purple flower - what more could you want?!?! Them there bees got good taste ;-)

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Lovely captures :) We get a few bees visiting our garden too.

RNSANE said...

I always enjoy photographing bees, too...as long as they continue to be interested in the flowers and not me!


At 65, I've done it! My poetry book - Life's Journey by Carmen Henesy - is out on Amazon!
( Poems about the things that have been important to me in my journey through life, some humorous, some sad, some that may have meaning to you as well )
http://www.amazon.com/Lifes-Journey-1-Carmen-Henesy/dp/1451547366/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274652997&sr=1-1

Hootin Anni said...

Outstanding....the flower AND the bees.

LETTER TO GOD [written by a DoG] You'll need to scroll down a bit beyond my 3-D movie rant.

Have one super weekend!!

DeniseinVA said...

Always great to see the bees around. Wonderful captures.

Joanne Olivieri said...

Great shots. Bees are usually so busy that they don't even notice they are being photographed

ruthi said...

nice capture... great depth of field.

Dave Cawkwell said...

The bee in the top photo looks almost black with just white stripes, I wonder what type of bee it is, not one I've seen near me. Beautifully taken photos.

Cheryl Kohan said...

The bees are busy as ever, aren't they? I must say that I love the flower every bit as much as the bees!

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site ashrunner.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Singapore plants lover said...

We captured the same flower and bee? Wish you have a wonderful weekend. Here is my flowers and bee: http://singaporeplantslover.blogspot.com/2010/08/camera-critter-bee-purple-flowers.html