Saturday, August 28, 2010

Camera Critter #125

Not long ago, I came home from a good photo safari and sent one of my favorite images to a friend for her to see.  She really likes dragonflies, ya know.

I sent it to her with the comment, “First Western Pondhawk male.”  The reply I got was “It sure looks like a Blue Dasher.  You sure it isn’t one?”

At that point I was sure I had photographed a Western Pondhawk and not a Blue Dasher.  But I’ve been wrong before, so I double-checked my fact and you know what?

It was a Blue Dasher!  Thank you, Misty for pointing out my mistake  8v)

So, may I present the Western Pon….errr…Blue Dasher.  8v)  I do like this photo.

CRW_2138

Oh…and if you’re wondering why I determined it wasn’t a Western Pondhawk, just look at the face.  A Blue Dasher’s face is white, while a Western Pondhawk’s face is greenish.

Misty Dawn’s Camera Critter Meme is a great way to see critters from around the world.  Go to the homepage here and check out some of the other entries.  Then join the fun and add your own.

11 comments:

Living In Williamsburg Virginia said...

Great shot, even if it is a blue dasher.

Darryl and Ruth : )

Misty DawnS said...

I've learned so much from you! I can almost "pebble the snatch" bwahahahaha

Anonymous said...

How delicate it is! Lovely.

EG CameraGirl said...

Very nice photo of this handsome dragonfly.

Cassiopeia said...

Love the posture in this shot!

Well done.

Joanne Olivieri said...

This is a very cool shot and thanks for the info. I never know the differences or names for that matter but I love learning about these beautiful critters.

Maria's Space said...

I love the color on that insect. He looks like he is doing a headstand.
http://reesspace.blogspot.com/2010/08/camera-critters-bird-butt.html

Mimi said...

Amazing shot! So impressive.

mrsnesbitt said...

Wow - so exotic compared to my chickens! lol!
yet, that is what blogging is about isn't it - all across the globe different takes on a lovely meme!

Nice to visit your blog.

Cheryl Kohan said...

That is just beautiful. I'd love to get a good photo of a dragonfly but have never been able to. Plus, I wouldn't know one from the other...they're so FAST! You captured this one perfectly.

Manz said...

wonderful image!! I recently bought a marco lens, and an image like this makes me wonder why I'm not using it more!! Great share.