Saturday, November 30, 2013

Camera Critters #295

Every year for the last 15 or so years, I have spent Thanksgiving day with a friend of mine.  Several years ago, he moved into the mountains north of where he lives.

Before dinner was ready, I decided to explore the 166 acres of land he owns.

It didn't take long to locate a resting Mule Deer buck.  It was a small forked horn, but he was in the sun and looked totally relaxed.  Using a tree for cover and being as quiet as possible, I got as close as I could and snapped off this shot.


He didn't move a muscle or twitch an ear.  So I decided I would see if I could get closer.  I stepped out from the cover of the tree and took two steps when the buck's head turned slightly and the left eyelid slightly opened.


I froze at that moment.  I was 30, maybe 35 feet away from the buck and I knew he was sizing me up through that slightly opened eyelid.  He then slowly stood up, looked at with both eyes wide opened and started walking away toward a group of a dozen or so does off to my left.


He didn't run...just slowly walked away...but the entire time, he kept his eyes on me.

Misty Dawn's Camera Critter Meme is a great way to see critters the world over.  Go to the home page here to see more.  Then add your own photo and join the fun.


3 comments:

Karen said...

166 acres...wow, and what a handsome buck!

Misty DawnS said...

Beautiful photos!

lina@family tips said...

Wow, it's so close!
Enjoying all shots.