Saturday, December 31, 2011

Camera Critters #195

After I added butterflies to “shoot list,” I began seeing all sorts of Lepidoptera, some I never knew existed.

One day in the Juniper badlands east of town, I came across one I had not seen before. It was white, with golden yellow veins. So I headed over to image it…but it flew before I could get in position. At that point the chase began.

The chase didn’t last long, as I found out the butterfly can fly a bit faster than I can run, and easily disappears when it wants.

Several weeks later, the opportunity presented itself again when I spotted a golden-veined, white butterfly off in the distance. Once again, the chase didn’t last long.

However, this time it was a successful chase. I got the photo I wanted of the white butterfly with golden veins. That butterfly is the Becker’s White.

Becker's White 1Becker's White 2Becker's White 3CRW_0569-CRW_1877CRW_3422

As you can see, since then I have photographed a number of Becker’s Whites. I have even learned to recognize them from a distance just by their flying characteristics. Knowing nature sure is fun.

Have a wonderful new year everyone!

Misty Dawn’s Camera Critter Meme is a great way see critters the world over. Go to the homepage here to see more. Then join the fun and add your own.

3 comments:

Misty DawnS said...

It's very beautiful. One I have never seen nor photographed.

Cheryl said...

What a beautiful butterfly ~ under and upper wings are both gorgeous.

Glad you finally found a way to snap it without running out of steam.

Pat said...

Your persistence paid off! These are
lovely shots.