Saturday, May 29, 2010

Camera Critter #112

Spring is a great time of the year for birds. I have seen more 'new' birds in my yard this year, than I have in the past five years.

Last Sunday, I was returning from my morning breakfast treat, when I heard a strange sound in a nearby tree. I looked towards the sound and from a distance, thought I was looking at a Baltimore Oriole.

So, once again, I run into the house, grab my camera and lift it to my eye. Alas, it wasn't a Baltimore Oriole (which would have been a very rare bird for this area), but a bird I had never seen before...a Black-headed Grosbeak.

I have been with other people who have seen one, but each time they call out the bird, by the time I turn to see it, the bird has flown and I missed my chance to add this species to my life list.

But it is on the list now. 8v)

One thing about this bird...its bill has either been injured or a disease affected it. It is not the normal bill of the Black-headed Grosbeak.

Misty Dawn's Camera Critter Meme is a great way to see critter the world over. Go to the meme's homepage here and check out some of the other critters. Then join the fun and add your own critter to the list.

5 comments:

Cheryl Kohan said...

Nice photo...it's belly almost looks like a robin, I think. We have had grosbeaks and I have a photo of one on my Flickr photostream and it has a black head but it's called a rose-breasted grosbeak.

Misty DawnS said...

It really is a neat looking bird! I love the markings on its wings.

Hootin Anni said...

absolutely beautiful.

My Camera Critters are 'museum quality'....Click Here to join me if you'd like to view them.

ksdoolittle said...

OOOH, lucky you!! I wouldn't mind adding one to my life list! What a nice surprise! ~karen

Gemma Wiseman said...

Fascinating little guy with unusual colour tones! Great shot!