Saturday, October 10, 2009

Camera Critter #79

I have several favorite spots in the area for shooting. Along the Dry Canyon Trail is one place. Another is Fireman's Pond near the airport.

I go there for dragonflies and waterfowl, but sometimes I come across larger birds, such as Osprey. I have found three nest sites within a mile of the pond and am sure the nest owners often visit the pond. I have seen upwards of four birds there at one time.

However, one day I came across a single bird which circled the pond, made several unsuccessful dives and then returned to circling above. Later, as I was checking out a dragonfly on a nearby weed, a large shadow passed over me. I looked up just in time to see the Osprey take wing after a successful dive.




Misty Dawn's Camera Critter Meme is a great way to see critters of all types. Go to the Meme homepage here and check out more entries. Then join the fun and let the world see your critters!

18 comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

Gorgeous shots! They must be on their way to my house, they keep stealing the fish out of my pond. ;o)

Sandy Kessler said...

sailing

Martha said...

Great shots. I saw some type of hawk yesterday while driving, at first I thought it was someone flying a model airplane, then it landed on top of a tall pine tree. I was not at a spot I could stop or I would have tried to get a shot of him!

My CC

eileeninmd said...

Excellent shots of the Osprey. Ospreys are nice birds to watch and see them catch their food.
Thanks for sharing your cirtter.

Squirrel said...

Wonderful captures!

Misty DawnS said...

These shots are so cool... next year - I will get some shots like this with the new lens ;-)

Psssst - It's an invasion... an overtaking!!!!! bwahahahahahaha

Dianne said...

there is nothing more magnificent than a bird in flight
wonderful shots

sweetbay said...

Beautiful captures! It always amazes me how much osprey look like giant seagulls on the wing.

Adrienne Zwart said...

Great shots! Love to watch these magnificent birds dive and come up successful!

Loran said...

I really like that second shot, it's spectacular!

Oskar said...

Those are big birdies!

Dimple said...

Nice shots. I sometimes see osprey fishing near where I live. They are really interesting birds.

Carrie said...

What a beautiful wing span, great capture

We love Luna said...

You are very talented!
Wonderful pictures, congratulations!
Happy Camera Critters
purrs and love
Luna

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Great shots! They can be difficult to capture in flight :)

Mara said...

He got a fish! I had to embiggen to see it clearly, but how brilliant is that?

Calico Crazy said...

Just beautiful, glad he finally got a fish.

Calico Contemplations

Maude Lynn said...

I love that second shot!