Saturday, May 10, 2008

Camera Critter Sunday No. 5

I thought for this week's Camera Critter Meme, I would do it about my favorite bird.

I remember the first time I saw one of these birds (at least the first time I paid attention to what I was seeing). I was living in Prineville, Oregon and out sitting on the front porch. In a tree across my landlord yard, I could see a yellow spot moving around. So I went inside and got my binoculars. When I came back outside, I saw the bird fly from my neighbor's tree to a tree near me. I put the binoculars on him and WOW! Beautiful bird! He had a paper wasp in his bill and was looking right at me. I watched him until he decided he wanted to fly away. From that moment on, he was my favorite bird.

Several years ago I was at Crane Prairie Reservoir, which is south of me. I sat down at a picnic table and was getting a drink of water when one of my favorite birds landed about twenty feet away on a rock. I lifted my camera, took a couple of shots, then put the camera down. A few seconds later, the bird took off, and flew directly towards me. I was amazed when this beautiful bird landed within three feet of me...right next to my camera. It proceeded to walk over to my Canon, cock its head from side-to-side, up and down, then it turned to me, stared me directly in the eye, blinked and took off for a nearby tree.

Last weekend I was out on a walk-about photo safari and I came across three or four of my favorite birds hanging out in a couple of trees. I climbed the hillside, stood, and took several photos of the nearest one. So now, without much more fan-fare, may I present the Piranga ludoviciana, or Western Tanager.


23 comments:

ShannonW said...

He is a beautiful bird. I can see why you enjoy watching them.

Misty DawnS said...

This is one of my favorites of all the birds you have photographed and shown me! It makes me think of a Gold Finch with a rosy head ;-) You know how much I love Gold Finches. I LOVE this bird - it is SO beautiful. The story of it walking up to your camera really makes this post even more spectacular.

Mom Knows Everything said...

That is a gorgeous bird! It's so colorful and pretty!

imac said...

Beautiful, what fantastic colours he wears.
Great post, photo and info.

Pop over to my blog to see the show at Belvoir Castle by the Peacocks.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful colors and great picture.

Berni said...

What a gorgeous bird I have never seen one. Too cold up here

ratmammy said...

Wow, what a gorgeous bird!Good shot!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful bird - he doesn't live here in Oz :(

I have just begun a "Friday's Feathers" meme over on my blog.

Oh, and my camera critter is up as well.

DeeMom said...

WHAT a great photo birds are so neat

Michele said...

Oh wow, I cannot believe the colors... outrageous... beautiful.
The Rocky Mountain Retreat

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh gosh Bear, i didn't know we had anything that pretty around here.

Carletta said...

I redhead like me - LOL.

This is indeed a beautiful bird.
What a great photo.

Sharon said...

It is a beautiful bird, what a great catch! Lucky you!

Juliana said...

beautiful bird :D

Mine in here Thanks

Anonymous said...

love the color of the bird...

Will you visit mine Thanks

Corey~living and loving said...

what a wonderful bird. I have never seen one. stunning!
Happy CC!

AppleDebbie said...

Gorgeous colors!

Jules said...

I have never seen this type of bird "in the feathers" so to speak. How lucky you are!

Lara said...

astonishing colours! a great contrast with the tree!

mrsnesbitt said...

How lovely. I haven't seen anything like this here in UK!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Wow. That's a really colourful bird

sandyland said...

splendid bird and photo

Rhea said...

I can see why that bird is a favorite of yours! Incredible colors and plummage! I've never seen a bird like that. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

I have a special Mother's Day-themed Camera Critters post today.

Happy Mother's Day!