Saturday, November 10, 2012

Camera Critters #240

The Belted Kingfisher has always been a difficult subject for me.  Since I don’t shoot from behind a blind, and the kingfishers is a skittish bird, it is hard to get close for a good photo.

Recently, I was at Fireman’s Pond in Redmond, Oregon, when I noticed a bird hovering on the other side of the pond.  I knew immediately what it was and began heading towards it.

As I got closer, the kingfisher turned and flew across the pond and landed on some wires along the far shore.  Again, I began trekking towards the kingfisher.  As I got about 100 feet or so away, he took to his wings and flew to the other side of the pond, landing in a tree.

And again, I began walking towards it…only to have it flush to the opposite side of the water.

As I stood there cussing out the bird, and trying to figure out how I can get a good shot of it, I developed a plan of action.  I would use the brush along the shoreline as cover and stealthily approach the bird in order to get a good shot.

It didn’t work…he saw me when I was a little more than 100 feet and off he flew.  But this time, he turned and began hovering.  Moments later he dove (I couldn’t see the end result of the dive due to the brush I was still hiding in).   Then he rose back into the air with a small fish in his bill. 

Landing on a power pole about 150 feet, the kingfisher began to enjoy his meal.

I wasn’t able to get close for good photos, but my camera does allow me to crop rather tightly and still produce a decent image for my post. 

IMG_8363

IMG_8419

IMG_8383

IMG_8400

Misty Dawn’s Camera Critter Meme is a great way see critters the world over. Go to the homepage here to see more. Then join the fun and add your own.

11 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Cool shots of the Kingfisher!

Misty DawnS said...

Outstanding photos! I've never seen one of these birds, other than in pictures!

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely photos!

TexWisGirl said...

i love these guys (well, in this case girl).

Anonymous said...

Amazing shots - love the punk hair!

Pat said...

You worked hard for these nice shots!

A Colorful World said...

He's a wonderful bird! And I think you got some great shots, cropped or not!

Anni said...

Fantastic. You should consider, if you wish, to stop by and add the link to this awesome set of images shared at the Bird D'Pot for the weekend's birding meme.

Maude Lynn said...

Cool bird!

Pia said...

What a pretty pretty bird..... your text made me smile. Sometimes I think birds dont´t like to be in a photograpers focus. Especially it´s a canon :-)

Raya said...

what a gorgeous shot! I love all your photos!