Saturday, February 11, 2012

Camera Critters #201

About five years ago, I visited my brother in Texas. The visit was a good one, as I met an old friend, got lots of photos of cool critters, and found a great place to carry a camera.

However, one dingy, gray morning, I was sitting on my brother’s back deck, camera at my side, when a caught a flash of movement out of the corner of my eye.

Scanning the area I thought was the place the movement ended, I saw the head of a bird peek around the trunk of a tree. I made sure my camera settings were set for the light conditions, lifted it and snapped off a few images of the head of the bird.

The bird then flew to a nearby branch giving me a nice view of it before it flew off to parts unknown.

I didn’t know what the bird was at the time, but I found out it was a female Golden-fronted Woodpecker…the first I had ever seen.

CRW_9034

A close look at the area just above the base of the bill will give you a clue as to why it is called what it is called. The male of the species has a bright red cap. I wish I had seen one of them also.

Misty Dawn’s Camera Critter Meme is a great way see critters the world over. Go to the homepage here to see more. Then join the fun and add your own.

10 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Super....but Texas has no dingy days. LOLOLOLOL [kidding of course]

Love this critter. What an excellent image, and it's always something that gives me 'awe' to see how well nature takes care of its own...the natural camouflage-and you've shown us a perfect example.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful shot of the woodie!

Jane Hards Photography said...

A bird I have yet to capture. Nicely done.

Pat said...

Wonderful capture! I love watching the woodpeckers.

Misty DawnS said...

AWESOME! What a beautiful bird, and it's always exciting to photograph something new!

Teresa said...

What a beautiful bird! I'm sure I've never seen one like this.

Linda said...

Great shot! I always try to catch the woodpeckers when we are in the woods, but they are so elusive...camera shy, I guess!

Kathy said...

He's so well-camouflaged with his environment. Nice shot.

Maude Lynn said...

What a pretty bird!

Theresa S. said...

What a beautiful bird! I've never seen one of these.